Stafidopsomo Raisin Bread
Here is the recipe for Stafidopsomo Raisin Bread. Nothing compares to the aroma of freshly baked bread and especially with the addition of dried fruit. Sultanas or raisins mixed with orange zest and cinnamon is a naturally sweet and fragrant combination.
If there is one product that is generally always stocked in a Greek bakery it is the Stafidopsomo. A favouite as a breakfast or snack item as it does not contain large amounts of sugar and is considered light but very satisfying.
Ingredients Stafidopsomo Raisin Bread
300mls milk, room temperature
125g granulated sugar
60g butter, melted
1tsp vanilla sugar
500g strong plain flour
1/4 teaspoon clove
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon mahlepi
Pinch of salt
1 orange zested
100g sultanas or raisins soaked in warm water (disregard the soaking liquid)
1 egg yolk, diluted in 1 tbsp milk
Method Stafidopsomo Raisin Bread
1. In a bowl mix the yeast with the milk and a tablespoon of sugar and set aside for 5-10 minutes so the yeast begins to activate. Then add the butter, egg, vanilla sugar together with the remaining sugar.
2. In another bowl add the flour, all the spices, salt, orange zest, sultanas, and mix with a spoon.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the yeast mixture and mix with the dough hook attachment at medium speed for 7 minutes or by hand for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer into a bowl greased with a little oil, cover with plastic wrap, and rest for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
5. Divide the dough into portions, shape into buns, and transfer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Cover again and let it rest for 45 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced.
8. Brush the buns with the egg wash, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Set them on a rack to cool.
Want more Greek food recipe inspiration?
View our food videos.
Cooking Classes to experience the best cooking class for Greek food in Melbourne.
Cooking classes are held at our cooking school in Melbourne and include basic cooking classes for beginners, healthy, vegan, vegetarian cooking classes, private cooking class, team building and group cooking classes.