Kolokithokeftedes Zucchini Feta Fritters
Here is the recipe for Kolokithokeftedes Zucchini Feta Fritters. You can use any combination of cheese. From plain feta, to plain ricotta or a mix of both. You can also add some grated parmesan cheese or tasty cheese.You could also bake this in the oven under a grill if you do not wish to shallow fry them. The fritters go nicely with a refreshing dill yoghurt dip either home made or store bought tzatziki although we recommend making your own, it always tastes best. These fritters are a dish that is made on a very frequent basis in most Greek households. You can use as many or as little of the herbs as you like to match your tastes.
Ingredients for Kolokithokeftedes Zucchini Feta Fritters
500g zucchini, grated
2 spring onions, only the green part, thinly sliced
1/5 bunch mint leaves, dill, and parsley, finely chopped
200g feta cheese, crumbled
80g plain flour
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper
1. Grate the zucchini into a bowl and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt to help the zucchini release moisture. Squeeze out the excess moisture using your hands. Transfer to a clean, dry bowl.
2. Place the spring onion, mint, dill, lemon zest, crumbled feta and 2 eggs into a bowl and mix until all of the ingredients are completely combined. Add the flour and combine gently to ensure you do not overwork the mixture.
3. Place a nonstick pan over medium to high heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
4. Add a spoonful of the mixture at a time into the hot oil. Do not crowd the pan. Gently press down on the patties to spread them out a little. Fry on both sides until nice and golden.
5. When ready, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
6. Repeat the same process until all of your mixture has been used.
Want more Greek food recipe inspiration?
Browse more full index of Greek food recipes
View our food videos.