Here is the recipe for Sultana Walnut Cake! A deliciously soft, moist and flavour rich cake, this cake is simply delightful. A cake that suits the type of flavours I like, such as fruit and nut combinations, sultanas and walnuts and fragrant spices such as cinnamon & clove. A simple yet flavoursome sponge cake. Yes it’s vegan too.
Ingredients Sultana Walnut Cake
20 ml raki
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon soda
125ml orange juice
400-425g self-raising flour
Method Sultana Walnut Cake
1. Line a medium sized baking tray with baking paper.
2. Boil the water and pour it into a bowl together with the sultanas. Leave them to soak for about half an hour or so until they begin to soften.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the olive oil with the sugar, raki and spices. Mix the baking soda with the orange juice to combine and add this to the mixture.
4. Use a mini food processor to puree the sultanas together with the water and add this to the mixture together with the walnuts.
5. Add the flour mix well to incorporate.
6. Pour into the prepared baking dish. This mixture will be slightly dense.
7. Wet your hand or the back of a spoon and use it to smooth out the surface.
8. Bake at 160 °C for 50-55 minutes. If the cake begins to darken too soon cover it.
Want more Greek food recipe inspiration?
biscuit recipes or our full index of Greek food recipes.
View our food
videos. Cooking Classes to experience the best cooking class for Greek food in Melbourne.
Cookery classes are held at our culinary school in Melbourne and include basic cooking class Melbourne beginners, healthy cooking class, private cooking class and group cooking class.
Sultana Walnut Cake
The Hellenic Odyssey