Petimezopita Grape Molasses Cake
Here is the recipe for Petimezopita Grape Molasses Cake. A light but full of flavour cake for those who love the flavour of grape molasses and sweet spices. Grape molasses also known as grape syrup or petimezi. This cake is made with petimezi, and is sure to please. Enriched with sultanas, a melt in your mouth Greek cake.
Ingredients Petimezopita Grape Molasses Cake
125ml olive oil
125ml of fresh orange juice
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon clove powder
60ml raki (distilled spirit) plus 1 tablespoon for sultanas
85ml lukewarm water / wine
100ml petimezi (grape molasses)
2 teaspoons baking powder
300g plain flour
Method Petimezopita Grape Molasses Cake
- In a bowl add the olive oil and the sugar and beat on medium speed. Add half the orange juice. Mix the remaining orange juice with the baking soda and stir over the bowl until it foams up and then pour it into the mixture. Then add the cinnamon, clove, raki, water or wine, and petimezi and mix well.
- Sift the baking powder into the flour and gradually add it in slowly, bit by bit, while the mixer is working.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced.
- In a small bowl add the sultanas, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of raki and stir with a spoon to moisten and soften. Then sprinkle 1 tbsp of flour to coat and help the sultanas not sink to the bottom of the cake tin.
- Add the sultanas to the mixture, stir for the last time and pour into the small round baking tray lined with baking paper to bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Let it to cool for 5 minutes, before removing from the tray and then let it rest for another 20 minutes before cutting.