Mirmigato Chocolate Sprinkle Cake
Here is the recipe for Mirmigato Chocolate Sprinkle Cake. A crowd pleaser of a cake…! The cake that derives its name from ants, mirmigia. Ants travel around everywhere in a scattered fashion, making paths all over the place. This is what the baked sponge cake looks like with its chocolate sprinkle texture.
Ingredients Mirmigato Chocolate Sprinkle Cake
150g butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
250g self raising flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
120g chocolate sprinkles plus extra for topping
Pinch of salt
Butter, for the baking pan
1 tablespoon orange juice
250g chocolate melts
Chocolate sprinkles for decoration on top
Method Mirmigato Chocolate Sprinkle Cake
For the syrup
1. In a saucepan add the water, sugar and orange juice, stir to combine. Once it comes to a boil, simmer for 6 -7 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
For the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C fan forced.
2. In a bowl beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mix to combine and finish with the brandy and milk.
3. In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, chocolate sprinkles and salt, and mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir to combine by hand.
5. Transfer the mixture to a buttered rectangular baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
6. Remove from the oven and immediately pour the cold syrup over the cake using a ladle, bit by bit at a time allowing each spoonful to be absorbed before adding the next. Set aside.
For the chocolate ganache
1. Combine chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a metal spoon until smooth. Remove bowl from heat and as soon as its combined and pour it over the cake. Spread it evenly to cover the whole surface of the cake. Top with chocolate sprinkles and place it in the fridge for 1- 2 hours. When ready to serve, remove from the fridge 15-20 minutes earlier.
Want more recipe inspiration? See our full list of recipes here.
Cooking Classes to experience the best cooking class in Melbourne.
Cookery classes are held at our culinary school in Moorabbin and include basic cooking class Melbourne beginners, healthy cooking class, private cooking class and group cooking class.