Melomakarona Greek honey biscuits
Melomakarona Greek honey biscuits. How to make the best Greek biscuits that are easy, delicious, coated in walnuts and honey syrup
Melomakarona are traditional classic Greek biscuits. They are made with flavours of orange, cinnamon and walnut making them very aromatic and full of flavour. The biscuits are cooked and then submerged in a honey syrup, making them extremely soft, delicate and crumbly. There are a very popular dessert option served with coffee. One biscuit is more than enough. However, it is often difficult to stop at just one. You can also find these biscuits dipped in chocolate, but most people prefer the classic version. Tip: Be careful not to overwork the cookie dough because the oil may start to seep out and then they won’t turn out crispy!
6 cups of plain flour sifted, plus extra if needed
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups of grapeseed oil
1.5 cups caster sugar
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup brandy
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup, honey
1 cup, sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
- In a saucepan simmer the sugar and water for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the honey. Let the syrup cool completely, 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 oven trays and put to the side.
- Mix oil and sugar with a hand whisk for about 2 minutes. Then add juice, brandy, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove to the mixture and combine well.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Slowly add 4 cups to the wet mixture then add the remainder, bit by bit until you are able to roll the dough in your hands without any stickiness.
- Form tablespoons of the mixture in a ball and then taper out into an oblong shape. Slightly flatten each biscuit and with a fork press again to lightly form a pattern on the top.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the extra walnuts and cinnamon sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- When the cookies are ready, place the hot cookies into the cool syrup for about 60 seconds and set aside. Test one of the biscuits to ensure the syrup has been absorbed, if not, leave in for a little longer.
- Place the biscuits on a tray and sprinkle with the walnut and cinnamon sugar mixture.
Recipe adapted from Sweet Greek’s original recipe.
For more nut based biscuits visit our recipe blog.