Here is the famous Greek Koulouri Recipe. If you have ever been to Greece then you would have tasted a koulouri. Walking the streets of Athens you will spot numerous street vendors with their carts selling a variety of baked goods including iconic Greek Koulouri which originated from Thessaloniki.
Ingredients Koulouri Recipe
325ml warm water
450g strong plain flour
1 tsp salt
25g butter melted
40mls petimezi (grape molasses)
50g sesame seeds
Method Koulouri Recipe
1. Mix the yeast with the water and one tablespoon of the sugar, mix well and then let it activate for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Then add the remaining sugar and flour and mix lightly, followed by the salt and melted butter.
3. Bring the dough together by kneading it by hand for 10 minutes or in a mixer for 7 minutes.
4. Rest the dough for about an hour in a bowl covered with cling wrap or a towel until it doubles in size.
5. Preheat oven to 180° C fan forced.
6. When ready, portion out the dough and roll each piece into a thing strip and connect to form a ring.
7. Create the topping which is a basting to dip the bread rings into by combining the water and petimezi.
8. Place each rings into the basting mix then coat with the sesame seeds.
9. Finally, place the koulouria onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden on top and coloured underneath.
Want for Greek food recipe inspiration?
Browse the full index of Greek food recipes.
View our food videos.
Attend a Cooking Class in Melbourne to experience the best cooking classes for Greek food in Melbourne.
Cookery classes Melbourne are held at our cookery school in Melbourne and include basic cooking class Melbourne beginners, healthy cooking class, cooking classes for couples, private cooking class and group cooking class.