Best Karidopita Recipe for Walnut Cake
Here is the recipe for Karidopita Greek Walnut Cake. One very important thing to note about this cake is that you should not be alarmed if you think your batter is dry and firm. This is how it is supposed to be.
Once it it cooked, you will pour a sugar syrup on top and that will moisten the cake. The longer you leave it soaking in the syrup, the softer it will become.
You can also control the amount of syrup you pour on top of it. If you do not like it too sweet and more dry, then simply use less of the syrup. However, this may result in only half the caked been soaked.
Ingredients for Best Karidopita Recipe Greek Walnut Cake
5 eggs, separated
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
¼ cup brandy or cognac
1 teaspoon clove
1 tablespoon cinnamon
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 1/2 cups walnuts, ground
1.5 cup water
1.5 cup sugar
Best Karidopita Recipe Method:
- Prepare the syrup. Combine the water and the sugar, bring to the boil and remove from the heat after 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a cake tin with a little butter or olive oil.
- Beat the butter and sugar and slowly add egg yolks one at a time.
- Mix the breadcrumb with the spices, walnuts and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add the alcohol to the butter mixture, then add the egg whites and breadcrumb mix, a little at a time, alternating with each as you go to allow mix to become fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Do not be concerned that it may be thick and dense.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Once the cake is ready, pour the cooled syrup over the hot cake so that it absorbs well. The longer it stands, the better the result as it will soften even more.
Browse more recipes.
View our food videos.
Cooking Classes to experience the best cooking class for Greek food in Melbourne.
Cookery classes are held at our culinary school in Melbourne and include basic cooking class Melbourne beginners, healthy cooking class, private cooking class and group cooking class.