Horta Greek Wild Greens
Here is the recipe for Horta Greek Wild Greens. Most Greeks use the type of wild greens that they cultivate in their gardens and these vary depending on the season. You can get a lot of wild greens from your local grocer. If you are not sure then just ask them what may be suitable, after all they know their produce better than anyone. If you also have a Greek neighbour, they are often willing to share their greens around all you need to do is ask.
To make horta, you do need to wash the greens very well. I normally wash them at least 3 times to remove all the dirt. The last thing you want is gritty horta. Also, ensure you do not over boil them, we still want them to retain their nutritional value. Lastly, horta are best served with a good quality olive oil. You will notice how the flavour of the horta is elevated once you add olive oil, salt and lemon.
Ingredients for Horta Greek Wild Greens
1 large bunch wild greens (various types if you can find them)
1 or 2 lemons
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
200g Greek Feta to serve (optional)
1. Fill a big saucepan halfway with water and place on stovetop to bring to the boil.
2. In the meantime, cut off any bruised leaves or stems from your Horta
3. Wash well to get rid of any soil.
4. Submerge your Horta to the boiling water and cover until it starts to boil again.
5. Uncover your saucepan, lower heat and stir around.
6. Boil for about 5 mins or until the stems are tender. Do not over boil.
7. Strain and place in serving dish.
8. Add your lemon juice, olive oil and salt on top as your dressing. Serve with some Greek Feta on top.
Want more Greek food recipe inspiration?
See more dishes and full index of Greek food recipes.
View our food videos.