Greek yoghurt cheesecake mousse
Greek yoghurt cheesecake mousse incorporates all the elements of a classic cheesecake however it has a slight Greek twist. In the base, I have added the typical nuts of the Greek cuisine such as almonds and walnuts which will add another intensity of flavour and crunch to the base.
For the filling I use cream cheese and thickened cream but I also add a good quality thick Greek yoghurt to lighten the mix and add a freshness to it. It is basically a cheesecake meets mousse meets Greek yoghurt. It is so light and airy due to the use of the swiss meringue instead of condensed milk which is commonly used.
For the topping I recommend using the Greek grape spoon dessert recipe as this really elevates the dish and completes it as a Greek cheesecake recipe.
Ingredients for Greek yoghurt cheesecake mousse:
200g sweet plain biscuit crumbs (I used Marie biscuits)
50g Lucky almonds and walnuts coarse crumb mix
150g butter, melted
500g block Cream Cheese, softened
2 egg whites
125ml thickened cream
150g sugar (75g for swiss meringue & 75g for whipped cream)
125g thick Procal Greek yoghurt
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla sugar
Top with Greek Grape Spoon Dessert
Method for Greek yoghurt cheesecake mousse:
- Combine biscuits, crumbs and butter and press into the base of a 20cm spring form pan. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese using an electric mixer until it becomes smooth.
- Whip the cream and 75g of the sugar to stiff peaks.
- Beat the eggs whites and sugar over a bain-marie until the mix reaches 70 degrees and then set it aside.
- Add the yoghurt to the whipped cream mix and stir to combine, then add the cream cheese, lemon juice and the vanilla and stir well to combine. Finally, add the swiss meringue but make sure to combine it gently and very carefully so that it still remains airy.
6. Pour mixture into prepared base and refrigerate overnight.
7. Once the cheesecake is set, top it with the Greek spoon dessert.
Want more Greek food recipe inspiration?
View our food videos.
Cooking Classes to experience the best cooking class for Greek food in Melbourne.
Cooking classes are held at our culinary school in Melbourne and include basic cooking class Melbourne beginners, healthy cooking class, private cooking class and group cooking class.