2024 CHANIA WALKING FOOD TOURS
CHANIA FOOD TOURS, 3 hour walking tour Crete
The Tastes of Crete Walking Food Tour with a Local
Awaken your senses as you leisurely stroll through the picturesque streets of Chania adorned with such fascinating history while immersing yourself in the aromas and flavours of Cretan cuisine.
Experience this interactive, fully guided walking tour of Chania with a hospitable local Cretan host. Chania is known for its people, it’s hospitality and its local produce. Not only will you get to learn about the food that makes Crete so special but you will also sample many Cretan delicacies. You will learn what the Cretan culture is all about as a local, not a tourist.
Savour the taste of Crete, sip on Greek coffee and enjoy every bite of the famous Cretan bougatsa. Enjoy a light lunch at an iconic Cretan eatery, learn about the different the cakes and biscuits on display as you browse the local bakery, sample loukoumades, experience a cheese tasting and view the regional and seasonal produce of the passionate traders who are so proud to share their knowledge.
Walking through the backstreets and little-known pockets that only locals seem to know about, you will gain an invaluable insight into Cretan life. In between sampling Cretan specialties, you will also visit at some old traditional stores to learn about Cretan culture and heritage.
Chania Walking Food Tour:
- We start our tour with a tasting of the famous sesame seed crusted bread ring from a store known for its koulouri since 1956.
- Next we visit at a bougatsadiko, built in 1924 and still serving the all time local favourite and a must have, the Cretan Bougatsa; a cheese and filo pastry parcel covered with cinnamon sugar. You cannot visit Chania without trying this speciality as it is made with a very unique cheese only found in Crete.
- Cretan traditional cheese tasting where we sample some of the cheeses only found in Chania.
- Visit the most famous bakery in Chania and taste the Cretan kalitsounia and learn about all the different Cretan delicacies including biscuits, breads, desserts and bread rusks
- Visit one of the iconic zaharoplastia in Chania built in 1950 and considered an institution, to taste the most delicious Cretan loukoumades (small bite sized Greek doughnuts). These doughnuts are very different to other Loukoumades that you may have tried before.
- We will then walk to the fountain square entrance to the Chania old town taking us back to the Venetian era with wonderful architecture and stunning alleys that surround the Venetian port.
- Walk down the Venetian port to see the famous light house and Yali Mosque
- Sample top quality local Cretan products. Taste a huge variety of extra virgin olive oils including a first harvest olive oil, many infused and flavoured local honeys including the exceptional mountainous thyme honey and distilled spirits including tsikoudia.
- We stop for a quick Greek coffee break before heading off to lunch.
- Our last stop will be at a traditional Cretan restaurant in the old town where you will get treated to a feast which includes wine, beer, dessert and raki.
Chania Walking Food Tour Information
Chania Food Tours take place every day at 9:30am-12:30pm. Price per person $150 AUD. Once you have purchased your tour, please email us your preferred dates to secure that place.
We can also customise tours to suit your needs and requirements.
We reserve the right to cancel the tour if we do not reach minimum number requirements and in that case a refund will be issued.
Please make sure to read and understand our terms & conditions before purchasing.
CHANIA FOOD Tour inclusions:
- Guided walking tour and commentary throughout
- 8 stops with at least 15 tastings
- Variety of food and cultural stops
- Huge variety of food tasting samples
- Lunch at a traditional Cretan restaurant
- Greek coffee
CHANIA FOOD Tour Highlights:
- Introduction to Chania, its food and its culture
- Taste the most popular local, authentic and traditional Cretan food
- Learn about the origins and health benefits of the Mediterranean diet
- Learn about the Cretan way of life and its people’s eating habits
What to bring:
- An appetite!
What to wear:
- Casual and comfortable clothing
- Your tour departs at the Statue di Sofoklis Venizelos in Old Chania Market/Central Market Square , Chania