Fava Yellow Split-pea Dip
Here is the recipe for Fava Yellow Split-pea Dip. This dip is made all over Greece. The basic recipe base does not change much but the toppings do. Some like to serve it with raw red onion, caramelised onion, capers, fresh tomato and so on. As long as you get the basic dip mix right then you can consume it whichever way you like. Some like to leave it chunky, whereas other like to use a stick blender to get it to a smooth consistency.
Ingredients for Fava Yellow Split-pea Dip
1 cup yellow split peas, soaked overnight
½ small brown onion, diced
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons olive oil
Optional: Crusty bread to serve
1. Soak the split peas overnight with enough water to cover.
2. Place 3 tablespoons of olive oil and onion into a saucepan and sauté for a few minutes then add the split peas and continue to cook off for another minute or so.
3. Add 1 litre of water. Bring to the boil and remove any scum that comes to the surface, lower the heat to a simmer and cook until tender, approximately 45 minutes. Add salt after 30 minutes cooking time.
4. Remove from the heat and serve as it or purée using a blender until smooth, slowly adding in 3 tablespoons of olive oil to create a smooth consistency.
5. Let the fava cool slightly as it is best served at room temperature. Top with additional olive oil and salt, if desired.
Browse more recipes
View our food videos.