Patzarosalata Greek Beetroot Dip
Want to learn how to make the popular Patzarosalata Greek Beetroot Dip? It is best to boil, steam or roast fresh beetroot in order to make your own dips, but you can purchase the freshly packed beetroot that has been precooked and found in the vegetable isle of the supermarket. Avoid canned as it often contains a lot of sugar and changes the flavour composition of this dip. You could also add some soft cheese like a good quality goats cheese to really elevate this dish. Also, if you are looking for a dairy free version we suggest omitting the yoghurt and the cheese and adding more beetroot to still get a decent serving size.
How to make beetroot dip
500g baby beetroot with leaves (do not dispose the leaves)
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
30mls olive oil
Optional: Feta to serve with the steamed beetroot leaves
Method for beetroot dip:
Remove the leaves from the beetroot and wash both the leaves and beetroot very well. Set the leaves aside to steam later on, if using.
- Steam the beetroot until tender approximately 35-40 minutes. Remove from heat, peel and dice into small pieces.
- Combine the olive oil and vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the hot beetroot, add the yoghurt and stir carefully to combine.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and the walnuts.
- Set aside in the fridge to let the flavours infuse.
- Steam the leaves for 15 minutes or until tender, drain and dress with olive oil and vinegar and served with feta, if desired.
Optional, you could chop up the leaves and stems and add them to the dip. You could add goats or ricotta cheese instead of the feta.You could use a flavoured vinegar, we like the Food Philosopher’s pomegranate one.
For more recipes see our recipe archive.
Learn all about the health benefits of beetroot.
Attend a Cooking Class in Melbourne to experience the best cooking classes in Melbourne.
Cookery classes Melbourne are held at our cookery school in Melbourne and include basic cooking class Melbourne beginners, healthy cooking class, cooking classes for couples, private cooking class and group cooking class.