Athens top 30 things to see and do
We have created a Athens top 30 things to see and do list. There is so much to see and do in Athens, and activities will really depend on your interests.
Here is our Athens Travel Guide, including some must see and must do activities in Athens.
Top 30 things to see and do in Athens:
1. Visit the Monastiraki area, walk along Ermou Street (main shopping district) & buy a Koulouri (crunchy sesame seed covered bread ring) from a street vendor
3. Venture up to Lycavettus Hill
4. Visit the suburb Kolonaki for a drink & have dessert at the famous Greek Greek pastry chef’s store, Sweet Alchemy by Stelios Parliaros
5. Must see – Athens Acropolis museum
6. Walk around the area of Thissio or take a guided walking tour with a local
7. Visit Panathinaiko Marble Stadium, or you can choose to take the Athens hop on hop off bus around the city instead
8. Stroll through Athens central municipal market & go to Diporto for lunch
9. Walk through the national gardens right through to where the Zappeion is located
10. Walk to Hadrian’s Arch which used to be one of the entrances to the city
11. Stroll down Metropolis Street to see some beautiful churches
12. Walk along Panepistimiou street, the architecture is stunning here
13. Walk the Anafiotika area on the downside of Acropolis Hill
14. Take part in a Athens cooking class and market visit
15. Taste yoghurt & cheese at Stani dairy shop which has been operating since 1931
And the next lot
16. Sample Greek pies at Ariston, an institution of Greece
17. Have dinner in the town of Psirri, followed by dessert at Bougatsadiko Psirri and see the masters open phyllo by hand and then taste the incredible bougatsa (custard filled fillo pie)
18. Try the Lahmatzoun at Feyrouz (street food)
19. Eat Souvlaki at Thanassi’s or Kosta’s, both institutions of Athens
20. Relax with a coffee at Yiasemi, a beautiful cafe set along the steps in Plaka
21. Eat Loukamades (Greek Doughnuts) with all sorts of amazing toppings such as Kinder Bueno or Nutella at the Lukamades store or take a Athens food tour
23. More drinks at A for Athens or 360 Rooftop Bar
24. Bar hopping visits at Drunk Sinatra & The Clumsies
25. Experience the nightlife in Keramikos
26. Take a day trip to Piraeus, Mikrolimano area
27. Ride the tram to Glyfada, stop at Flisvos Marina, walk along the broadwalk & hop back on the tram or bus when you are ready
28. Spend a whole day in Vouliagmeni, swim at the lake, (healing springs) & nearby beach
29. Visit Marathonas Dam, archeological site, museum & monument of the Battle of Marathon
Even more to do!
Choose from a variety of guided walking tours in Athens, view Athens Tours now!
The Hellenic Odyssey offers group travel tours to the Greek Islands, more information can be found here. We specifically focus on Crete small group travel tours, however as we have visited and lived in many islands and regions of Greece we can assist with Greek travel tours of any nature.
Browse & Buy Lonely Planet travel guides for all over Europe.