Almond Cake Pasta Amigdalou
Here is the recipe for Almond Cake Pasta Amigdalou. A Greek cake that is made with sponge layers either a classic sponge cake or a meringue base. This version uses the meringue version. I have tried numerous versions of this cake in order to bring to you the best almond cake recipe for you to enjoy and this by far is the best!
4 egg whites
120 icing sugar
120 almond meal
1 litre milk
4 egg yolks
15g vanilla sugar
300mls thickened cream
120g slivered almonds, toasted and chopped finely
100g flaked toasted almonds
Method Almond Cake Pasta Amigdalou
- Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form to create a meringue base. Mix the icing sugar, almond meal and cornflour together and add to the meringue mix. Mix softly to combine. Divide the mixture into 3 parts. Spread each onto a sheet of baking paper all cut to a size of about 20 x 30cm. Bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees fan focred or until lightly browned.
- Warm the milk in a large saucepan, reserving about 150 mls. Mix the sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until incorporated. Then combine the 150 mls of milk, together with the cornflour and stir until it becomes a smooth consistency and add to this mixture.
- Take the saucepan of milk off heat and add 1 ladle of warm milk to the egg mixture, ensuring it combines well before adding the next. Continue until all of the milk is used, then return the whole mixture to the saucepan and cook on low heat, ensuring to stir continuously until it thickens. This process can take 15-20 minutes. Be patient and do not turn the heat up. Once the mixture thickens and bubbles, turn off the heat stir in the butter.
- Pour it into a shallow dish, cover with plastic wrap right on its surface and place it in the fridge to set.
For the Cream
- Whip 300mls of thickened cream with 1 tbsp of sugar to stiff peaks and then whip together with the set custard. Add in the chopped slivered almonds.
- Divide the cream mix into 3.
- Place a piece of the meringue base on a serving dish, place the cream on top and smooth out. Repeat for the next 2 layers and top with toasted flaked almonds.
Want more Greek food recipe inspiration?
View our food videos.
Cooking Classes to experience the best cooking class for Greek food in Melbourne.
Cooking classes are held at our cooking school in Melbourne or cooking classes online and include basic cooking classes for beginners, healthy, vegan, vegetarian cooking classes, private cooking class, team building cooking classes, corporate events and group cooking classes.